Saturday, November 7, 2009

I Like Freedom of Speech

Today in Phoenix, Arizona a group of neo nazis demonstrated. Of course, there was an even bigger counter-demonstration. Both sides were yelling and screaming their points of view, waving flags, throwing around nazi salutes...

While I in no way sympathize with neo nazis or racists in general, I was less angered by their point of view than I was happy to see extreme freedom of speech in action. Maybe 100 of Phoenix's police officers there, many of whom were sub-human minorities in the apparent view of the neo nazi protesters. The officers were amazingly calm and respectful, while many of them counter protesters were calling them nazis!

Our freedom of speech, our right to offend is so precious. There are a number of things I really love about America, but this probably tops the list. Below is my favorite photo I took of the event, a police officer holding back protesters from the neo nazis.


Neo Nazis in Phoenix 3 by ~firheruwen on deviantART

In the words of Evelyn Beatrice Hall, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it," one of my favorite quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment